Friday, April 1, 2011

Love + A Really Good Pallet

I'm in love! And no, it's not with another man (or woman). It's with my new cookbook, The Blackberry Farm Cookbook.
The author, Sam Beall, was at Williams-Sonoma this week and I was fortunate enough to stop by and take part in his demonstration and book signing! He spoke to us about the dish he was preparing, which was amazing, but also about Blackberry Farm where he not only works, but grew up and still lives. This 9,000+ acre farm looks and sounds so pristine, naturally beautiful and unlike anywhere I've ever lived... I cannot wait to plan my first visit! All year long they have events ranging from food and wine tastings, to cooking classes, to photography classes, to 4th of July parties, etc.
Sorry, back to the book and demonstration! This cookbook is packed with amazing photos of the farm and it's restaurants, stories from the chefs and farmers, and of course seasonal recipes. At BB Farm they only use what is naturally grown on their farm and fished out of the rivers. I think this is what drew me to the book, and farm. I am becoming more and more of an advocate for the farm-to-table lifestyle. I love the thought of buying local, natural and handmade products/produce and am trying to incorporate this 'way of life' into our lives.
Sam brought ingredients from his farm and they tasted and looked so rich! He packed up the eggs, cornmeal, radishes, parsley, etc. The only thing he purchased in town was the trout, which is local for Atlanta. (In the cookbook, he uses salmon which he mentioned was the only thing they use that is not local for them in TN.) But, this dish was amazing with the trout. Could be a possibility for Easter... along with my angel food cake.

Here are a few (Iphone) pics from the night.



He prepared his Oil-Poached Salmon, or trout, with Radish Salad & Parsley Coulis along with an Herbed Spoonbread/cornbread (he said spoonbread is a southern name for cornbread). Can I be honest with you? I have never in my 28 years of being born and bred in the south heard of spoonbread!?! Have you? Maybe it's a regional-southern thing...


It was so light and heavenly! I could have had a few more tasting plates...


Having my book signed


I hope to make this trout/salmon dish this week along with a few other things such as: Lemon Cucumber Soup; Blackberry Cobbler; Heirloom Tomato Terrine. I may even try a few of the meat dishes for David ~ Peach Glazed Baby Back Ribs, Buttermilk-Brined Fried Chicken With Sage......... and this is just the Spring/early Summer section!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment